Over the past three years, I’ve shot with hundreds of lifestyle and fashion bloggers. Many bloggers have asked if I have any tips that would help them prepare for their shoot. So I thought I’d share a few of those tips to hopefully help you on your next shoot — whatever type it may be. :)
- Have your outfits organized with the accessories and shoes. This will make wardrobe changes much quicker and leave you more time to shoot (which equals more images for you to choose from).
- Inspiration: Are there other bloggers or brands that you like? Do you want to emulate their style in your images? You can try bringing pictures from your phone, Pinterest or magazines that inspire you to reference during your shoot. This way, you don’t get to the end of the shoot and wish you would have tried more things.
- If you know where you’re shooting and you don’t want to change in your car, you can research the surrounding areas and see if there’s a shop or store close by that you might be able to change in. (I have a fun pop-up changer so my bloggers can change wherever we shoot without having to walk too far or change in the car!)
- Try to get a good night’s sleep before the shoot, drink lots of water, avoid junk food and make sure you’re not hungry so you look and feel energized (and don’t get hangry while shooting)!
- Arrive a little early to your shoot, especially if you’re shooting outside. This way you’ll be shooting in the light your photographer envisioned and you’ll have plenty of time to get to know the area and your photographer if you haven’t yet met.
- Do you have any music you want to bring on your shoot? Create a playlist that makes you feel more relaxed and yourself. I did a shoot last weekend and the bloggers brought a really fun playlist that I think helped them relax and enjoy the shoot even more.
- The most important thing you can bring to your shoot is your confidence! ;) Really, if you feel confident in your skin (and clothes) and believe you look amazing, it’s going to show in your images.
Get my free Photography for Fashion Bloggers Starter Kit
Get my 7-step checklist for taking your own outfit photos, learn which mistakes to avoid when shooting and find out which tools you'll need to create gorgeous blog photos like a pro!